Skip to main content

On "SNL," see Lil Yachty bring the rock album "Let's Start Here" to life

Check out Lil Yachty's performance from last night (April 1) on Saturday Night Live, where he performed two songs off his freshly released rock album "Let's Start Here."



Last month, Lil Yachty was officially announced as the musical guest on Saturday Night Live, replacing The 1975, who sang "I'm In Love With You" and "Oh Caroline" from "Being Funny In A Foreign Language."

Yachty played "The Black Seminole," the opening single from "Let's Start Here," after being introduced by Abbott Elementary actress Quinta Brunso Drive Me Crazy'

He was accompanied by a five-piece band for both songs, with backup vocals by Diano Gordon.

Lil Yachty's ninth album, "Let's Start Here," which was released in January, finds the rapper deviate from his typical trap and rap stylings in favour of rock elements.

Daniel Caesar, Fousheé, Teezo Touchdown, Justine Skye, and Diana Gordon are among the special guests; Mac DeMarco is listed as the writer of the songs "Drive Me Mad!" and "Failure."

The album was influenced by songs like Frank Ocean's "Blonde," "Currents" by Tame Impala, and "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd . He told Billboard in an interview that "I've always been so much more than simply hip-hop."

Production on "Let's Start Here" was done by Chairlift's Patrick Wimberly, Jacob Portrait of the Unknown Mortal Orchestra, and the synth-pop duo Magdalena Bay. 

Many children haven't heard any of my references, he continued.They have no knowledge of James Brown, Pink Floyd, Bon Iver, or Black Sabbath. I most critically wanted to demonstrate to them that I am capable of anything.

He continued, "A lot of self-evaluation and being very open about not being pleased with where I was musically, knowing I'm better than where I am, is how the record came about. 

The garbage I was producing did not match the shit I was hearing. All I wanted was more. I desire to be recalled. I want to be taken seriously.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Founder of Cash App Bob Lee was stabbed to death in San Francisco

 According to his family and the police, Bob Lee, a technology professional who established the mobile payment business Cash App and formerly worked at Square, passed away on Tuesday after being stabbed close to downtown San Francisco. Around 2:35 a.m. on Tuesday, according to San Francisco police, officers responded to a report of a stabbing. The police discovered Robert Lee, 43, who appeared to have been stabbed.  Police added that after being transferred to a hospital, he passed away from his wounds. In a statement released on Wednesday evening, Police Chief Bill Scott described the incident as a terrible crime but noted that the investigation was in its early stages. The police department's homicide detail is looking into the event, according to the department. The chief product officer of the cryptocurrency business MobileCoin was Bob Lee.  Prior to joining Block, he served as chief technology officer of Square, a financial technology start-up co-founded by former Tw...

Sanna Marin, the prime minister of Finland, is defeated by the conservatives in a close election.

Sanna Marin, the prime minister of Finland, is defeated by the conservatives in a close election. Sanna Marin, the prime minister of Finland, lost her bid to hold onto office by a razor-thin margin on Sunday after her party's performance in a national election.With 20.8% of the vote, the center-right National Coalition Party (NCP), led by Petteri Orpo, narrowly won the election. The right-wing populist party in the nation, the Finns, received 20.1% of the vote.  The Social Democrats (SDP), Marin's center-left political party, only received 19.9% of the vote.With the narrow margin of victory, the NCP will attempt to form a coalition government, which is expected to require weeks of political wrangling. 22 parties fielded more than 2,400 candidates for seats in Finland's parliament. When the national debt increased, inflation increased, and opposition leaders blamed the SDP of overspending the government, the SPD fell out of favour.  Yet, Marin's standing as an individual...

Jon Rahm wins the 2023 Masters with ease, giving the Spanish his second major triumph.through Jack Bantock

 At the beginning of Sunday's final round, Rahm was two strokes behind Brooks Koepka, but he surged as Koepka stumbled to win his second major championship. Withan unflappable performance at Augusta National, Jon Rahm won the 2023 Masters on Sunday, earning his first green jacket and second major of his career.The Spaniard put on a consistency masterclass to win by four shots over Brooks Koepka and Phil Mickelson of the LIV Golf Series. It was fitting that blue skies and sunshine served as the backdrop for Rahm's coronation after two days of...